Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Family. Especially in laws. What do you think when you hear these words? Good things for the most part I hope. But then...well...so we had a birthday party at my in laws for my neice who turned 17. So we went over for dinner and cake. First off, my husband is the only sibling not living back with his parents right now. So there are not a lot of happy campers over there at the moment but it's a birthday party, so everyone is on their best behavior...well not everyone. I'm sitting there minding my own business when my brother in law, an out of work hairdresser who is significantly older than I am, plops down in front of me and says "So, it's time for me to tell you the honest truth." With that he proceeds to tell me how horrible my hair looks. It's too blonde, it looks damaged and the cut makes my face look fatter. He goes on and on telling me that my current stylist is ruining my hair and that every body is talking about how bad my hair is looking. I look at him. He is bald on the top and wears the rest of his sparse hair bleached blonde and about shoulder length. Most of the time he, thankfully, wears a bandana like Brett Michaels but unfortunately for me he is not wearing one now and he is so worked up over the state of my hair-do that he is sweating profusely. Nice. My mother in law is shushing him loudly. Finally I say, "Well, first of all, I like the color, it covers my gray. Secondly, my face looks fat because I am fat and if you think there is a product that will help my hair look healthier, please write it down for me." and I walked away!! I was so freaking proud of myself! I NEVER walk away for crying out loud! But I did this time. I did because it was a party, for my 17 year old neice and everyone was supposed to be on their best behavior. And it feels good to take the high road. Does it feel as good as it would have felt to come apart at my brother in law? I don't know for sure. This morning I looked at my hair very objectively in the mirror. I decided I look fine. Besides, I have bigger fish to fry...later.

No comments: